At some point you might need to apply pesticides, fertilizer and herbicides to plants. The best way to achieve this is using an agricultural sprayer. Depending on the type of liquid being dispensed and the size of your lawn, you can have several options to choose from. The tow behind sprayers, also known as pull behind sprayers come in many designs, sizes and configurations. They are mostly attached to a truck or trailer. When choosing the best tow behind sprayer for your spraying needs, you need to consider several factors.
If you need to cut time and manual labor in maintaining a well-kept lawn, try using a tow behind sprayer. The equipment can be used to apply fertilizer, watering plants and spraying herbicides and pesticides.
Best Tow Behind Sprayer – Top 5
1. Precision Products TCT25 Tow Behind and Spot Sprayer, 12-Volt, 25-Gallon
Our editor’s pick for the best tow behind sprayer is the Precision TCT25. Comes with a capacity of 25 gallons but there are other capacities available with a 12 volt sprayer and up to 60 PSI. The pull behind sprayer can easily be attached to 12 volt battery on tractor. You can tow behind tractor to spray over 7 foot area. For spot spraying, a hand wand with 15” hose is also included. Uses two nozzles spray.
The opaque plastic tank is heavy duty and has a drain plug mounted on trailer. The design and light weight makes it easy to mount on tractors. The drain plug that helps with quick clean up. There is no assemblage required as the sprayer comes fully assembled. The sprayer’s frame is made of ¾” powder-coated steel tubing, with the unit running on two 10 inch pneumatic tires.
The 12 volt pump, mounted on anti-vibration pad has the capability of pumping 1.8 gallon per minute. In addition, the 8” detachable power harness with heavy duty battery clamps and has an off and on switch. A tankful of lawn chemical can spray up to 2 acres of land- this will be dependent on the sprayer’s flow rate settings.
When using a tow behind sprayer, you just need to pull behind a tractor or any other vehicle.
On the downside, the boom height seems to be high and need manual adjustments to lower the boom nozzles. Also, it’s not possible to adjust the rear nozzle output pressure. With the caps for opening and drain not tethered to the tank, they might get lost easily after opening them.
2. NorthStar Tow-Behind Trailer Boom Broadcast and Spot Sprayer – 21-Gallon Capacity, 2.2 GPM, 12 Volt DC
This tow behind sprayer has an attractive design with a streamlined body. The axle and trailer steel supports are well hidden.
The pressure gauge can easily be monitored while the diaphragm is installed for agitating tank mix. The industrial grade pump which does not heat fast is also present while the chemical-resistant Viton seals which can handle the most corrosive chemicals. With the product having both broadcast and spot sprayers, a boom is also present. The boom can easily be folded into the body.
The sprayer will automatically turn off when no flow is required to save on battery power. If you are looking for a sprayer to cover large areas, this is your perfect match. Ideal for weeds, fence lines, trees and isolated areas thanks to the right and left boom nozzle control valves. Filling the tank is easy thanks to the large 7 ½ inches diameter tank lid while draining the tank is quick because of the bottom drain.
3. SMV Industries 25TY202HLB2G2N 25 Gallon DLX Trail Sprayer
This particular tow behind sprayer is ideal for large areas. Armed with a 2.0 GPM pump, it can easily be attached to a garden tractor, ATV or UTV thanks to the durable steel frame with two pneumatic tires. The tank is fitted with two nozzle booms. This high quality product is manufactured in the USA and it’s very easy to install. However, the trailer hitch is too low and since it cannot extend, the unit is not ideal for rough terrains.
4. Ironton Tow-Behind Trailer Broadcast and Spot Sprayer – 13-Gallon Capacity, 1 GPM, 12 Volt DC
The sprayer is ideal for both light and small scale jobs. Comes with a 13-gallon tank that is opaque and an adjustable flow rate of up to 2.2 GPM. For storage purposes, the sprayer can easily be dismantled. With its pneumatic wheels, it can be used in even rough terrains.
Filling the tank is easier thanks to the 7 ½ in lid and easy-empty bottom drain. On the downside, one will need to use another measuring tool since the tank is opaque. In addition, the hand wand hose is only 12 feet.
5. Chapin 97600 15-Gallon, 12-Volt EZ Tow Dripless Fertilizer, Herbicide and Pesticide Sprayer, 15-Gallon (1 Sprayer/Package)
Last on our top 5 for the best tow behind sprayer is the Chapin 97600 Sprayer. Comes with 15 gallon tank with 5 inch wide mouth. It can easily be attached to an UTV or ATV. The user can easily monitor the liquid inside the tank thanks to the translucent material used. The pressure gauge is strategically placed and is clearly visible. The boom can cover a wide area to a width of 7-feet.
On the downside, there is no shutoff valve for the hand sprayer. The nozzles may occasionally drip and leak. The boom is relatively hard to assemble and disassemble.
Best tow behind sprayer buying guide
Before purchasing your next tow behind sprayer, you need to take time and look at different factors before deciding on what is the best tow behind sprayer. Here are some of the considerations to make when looking for a tow behind sprayer:
• Pressure gauge.
This is a measurement tool that usually determine the pressure produced by the liquid in the container. Therefore, it’s very important to make sure that you’re using the right pressure while spraying.
The tank’s capacity range from model to model with some ranging from 13 Gallons to 25. Choose a capacity that will help you complete your garden quicker. If you buy a smaller tank capacity, you will need to keep refilling in order to complete spraying your garden.
It is advisable to go for the pneumatic tires with the right size. For tougher terrains, look out for the bigger wheels.
• Sprayer booms.
They come in different types including dry booms, dripless booms and wet booms.
Mostly, the spray patterns will depend on the nozzle.
• Tank material.
Check if the material is corrosive-resistant or not. The mostly used materials for the tank being; Fiberglass, Polyethylene& Stainless steel.
Types of sprayers
- Backpack sprayers. The user must apply pressure to the liquid by pumping on one hand while the other hand holds the application hand. The sprayer is strapped on the back of the person using it. Th application wand and the pumping mechanism are easily accessible. Commonly known as knapsack sprayers, the tanks can either be plastic or metal.
- Hand held sprayers. Handheld prayers are best fit for small applications since they can hold around 1 -2 gallons of liquids. They are easy to use and lightweight.
- Aerial applicator. For the biggest farms and acreage, aerial applicators will be used. They can be fitted on small planes with multiple nozzles that will dispense the spray.
- Pull behind sprayers. These are most appropriate for bigger lawns. They need to be attached to a vehicle or a tractor. They are fitted with multiple nozzles that help in dispensing the liquid. The pump can either be powered by a battery or the pulling vehicle’s electrical system.
- Self-propelled sprayers. The self-propelled sprayers have an engine, application booms, tanks and all machinery needed to do the spraying.
Using a tow behind sprayer
To ensure that the product lasts for long, its good to observe the correct usage, storage and cleaning.
- Apart from using the manual to familiarize yourself with the equipment, you need to observe several safety precautions as will be discussed below. By observing some precautions, you can as well avoid common accidents that could occur when operating a tow behind sprayer.
- When operating a tow behind sprayer, it’s important to wear protective clothing like gloves, masks and goggles.
- Before operating the tow behind sprayer, perform a safety check to make sure there is no broken lines in the system. Check for loose fittings and tighten them.
- Check for the recommended flow rates and pressure for each chemical as described in the charts. This will prevent over applying or applying less chemicals as would be needed.
- Maintain lower speeds on your tractor when running on rough terrains. This will help maintain control of the sprayer which would be impossible when running on high speeds.
- Follow the instructions that come with the product manual when setting up the towable sprayer. Only operate the equipment after finishing the assemblage.
- Never allow a child to operate the tow behind sprayer or the tractor.
We would like to hear your thoughts regarding the best tow behind sprayer in the comments section below.